Have a look at the ways in which you can keep yourself healthy and fit, to live for a better and longer life.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it feeds your body and mind with the necessary nutrients and energy to function throughout the day. Eating breakfast regularly will also help keep weight off because it gets your metabolism going. Cook a pleasant Breakfast with butterfly flours, food options include parathas, puris, pancakes (See Recipes). It is also important to remember that dinner does not have to be the largest meal.
- The bulk of food consumption should consist of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk products.
- Always opt for fruits with rich water content like as Watermelon, Muskmelon, Apple, Papaya, Orange, Berries
- Avoid eating raw or undercooked meats of any type.
- Teens need 9+ hours of sleep per night for their bodies to function properly.
- Foods that don't expire contain unnatural preservatives, additives, and chemicals that deteriorate your body. Focus instead on fruits, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, low-fat dairies, and above all, moderation in whatever you eat.
- For teens, the recommended caloric intake is 2,100 calories, but it is important to base your diet on your level of physical activity.
- The following are foods that help burn fat faster, hence boosting your metabolism. They should be consumed more often in order to shed off the extra weight and be fit.
Foods that help burn fat faster
- Chilli - A single chilli pepper also contains a full day’s supply of beta carotene (which is great for maintaining healthy skin, hair and nails) and twice your recommended daily allowance of vitamin C – an essential antioxidant that helps to battle toxins and foreign bodies in the blood stream.
- Beans - Each tiny bean is packed with nutrients, including protein and fibre, while remaining low in calories and full of slow-release energy. This means you’ll feel fuller, while the high protein content will help firm up your muscles and keep you toned. Swap out burgers for burritos, and beef chilli for bean chill.
- Lentils - lentils are a cost-effective way to pack in a lot of different stomach-strengthening nutrients at once, including fibre, complex carbohydrates and proteins.
Sample Diet Plan for Weight Loss (Vegetarian and Non Vegetarian)
You can start with the following diet plan for weight loss. The choices of vegetables, Butterfly pulses, grains and beans, should be changed from time to time.
Morning (on an empty stomach)
- Honey and lemon juice mixed in lukewarm water.
- 2 Scrambled Eggs.
- Vegetable Poha / Upma / Idlis / Vegetable Daliya with fruits + skimmed milk.
- 1 cup fat free vanilla yogurt with low calorie sweetener.
- 1/2 cup blueberries.
- 1 slice whole-wheat toast with 1 tbsp. Almond butter.
- 1 cup orange juice.
- Handful of almonds or walnuts + tea/ black coffee/ juice.
- 1 whole celery stalk, cut into spears.
- 1 large carrot, cut into spears.
- 1 medium apple.
- Chapati without oil, rice (preferably without starch), salad, vegetable or vegetable curry, dal and curd
- 4 oz. grilled chicken breast
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup steamed spinach with salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup brown rice, steamed
- 1/2 cup light tuna, canned in water with 2 tbsp. light mayo and with 2 tbsp. chopped tomato and 2 tbsp. capers
- 16 Wheat Thin crackers
- 1 medium orange
- 1/2 cup steamed asparagus or about 8-10 small spears
Evening Snack :
- Sprouts / apple / cucumber / carrot / nuts / tea with lite biscuits
- 1 oz. roasted, salted almonds
- 1/2 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt with low calorie sweetener
- Chapati without oil, rice (preferably without starch) or brown rice, salad, boiled soybean nutrela/ soup, vegetables, dal and curd (see that the quantity consumed is less than what you have consumed in lunch)
- 4 oz. broiled salmon with salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pasta
- 1 cup steamed broccoli
- 4 oz. 95% lean ground beef cooked in a non-stick skillet with salt/pepper to taste; served with 1/4 sliced avocado,2 tbsp. salsa; 2 whole wheat tortillas.
- 1 cup green beans with 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 small kiwi
- A glass of warm skimmed milk. (If not taken at breakfast)
Daily consumption of water - 8 glasses