1 cup of Butterfly Red Lentils whole soaked for 2 hours
1 medium-sized tomato, finely chopped
10 curry leaves
2 teaspoons of ginger paste
2 teaspoons of garlic paste
1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
A pinch of hing spice
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
2 teaspoons of red chili powder
Salt, to taste
2 teaspoons of sambhar masala powder
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
2 tablespoons of cooking oil
1 tablespoon of ghee (clarified butter)
2 small onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons of fresh coriander, chopped
- Step 1: Begin by soaking the Butterfly Red Lentils whole in water for 2 hours.
- Step 2: In a pressure cooker, heat the cooking oil and ghee over medium heat.
- Step 3: Add the mustard seeds and a pinch of hing spice. Once the mustard seeds start to crackle, add the curry leaves and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté until the raw aroma disappears.
- Step 4: Add the finely chopped onions and continue to sauté until they turn translucent.
- Step 5: Stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become soft and mushy.
- Step 6: Add all the ground spices – ground coriander, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, sambhar masala powder, and ground cumin. Mix well and sauté for about a minute to blend the spices.
- Step 7: Drain the soaked Butterfly Red Lentils whole and add them to the pressure cooker. Sauté the lentils for another minute to infuse them with the flavourful spices.
- Step 8: Pour in two cups of water, give it a good stir, and cover the pressure cooker. Cook on high heat until you hear four whistles, and then reduce the heat to low for an additional whistle.
- Step 9: Once the lentils are cooked, remove the pressure cooker from heat and let the pressure release naturally.
- Step 10: When ready to serve, garnish the dal with freshly chopped coriander.
- Step 11: Serve the delicious Butterfly Red Lentils whole with your choice of flatbread or rice.